High School in the Community Academy For Law Social Justice Interdistrict Magnet
2015 Open Houses
Address: 175 Water Street, New Haven, CT 06511 MAP
Main Office Phone: (203) 946-7022
Grades: 9th to 12th grade
Admission Preferences: Sibling
School Hours: 7:55am – 2:15pm
Building Leader: Erik Good
Enrollment: 270 students
Uniform School: No
Welcome to High School in the Community Academy for Law and Social Justice Interdistrict Magnet School, a small school with a big heart!
At HSC, an approach called “mastery-based learning” lets your child learn at their own pace, guided by the theme of Law and Social Justice, which provides a sense of purpose and direction. Because we are teacher-run, we are really good at collaborating, which means that we listen to each other and to parents, students and community members. With such listening and collaboration, your child is engaged and feels a sense of ownership in their learning and community. We truly are a high school IN the community, and we’ve developed partnerships that have increased the resources and opportunities available to our students.
How to Know High School in the Community Magnet School is Right for Your Child:
- Your child is moved by social inequalities or injustices and is interested in law
- Your child wants to succeed academically and make the world a better place while they’re still in high school
- Your child is hard-working, self-motivated, empathetic, and driven to create positive change
Unique Ways Your Child Can Learn and Grow Here:
- Exploration of current issues in law, justice, and equity and how they apply to students’ lives, communities and the world at large to nurture aware citizens who are the stewards of fairness
- Mastery of the skills and knowledge necessary to thoughtfully and ably engage the social and political issues at the heart of American and global citizenship
- Eagle Time on Tuesdays and Thursdays extends the school day by one hour so that students can get extra help and attention from their teachers
2015 Open Houses/Tours/Shadowing
2015 Open Houses
School Tours & Shadowing
available by appointment
For More Info
- Academy for Law and Social Justice with a mastery-based learning program
- A Higher Order Thinking (HOT) arts integration school
- HSC is home to New Haven Pulse, the citywide online student newspaper (newhavenpulse.com)
- Polyvision Eno Boards in each classroom, new computers in every lab and the library, iPad carts, and MacBooks
- Well developed partnerships with area law enforcement officials, lawyers, judges, law schools, and non-profit organizations, frequently inviting them into our building and offering opportunities for students to visit them to see their work in action.
- League of Innovative Schools
- CT Commissioner's Network
- The Future Project
- United Way: BOOST!
- Yale Dwight Hall
- Quinnipiac University School of Law
- New Haven Police Department
- Appalachian Mountain Club
- Crawford Black Bar Association
- Higher Order Thinking (HOT) Schools Arts Integration
- Youth Rights Media
What our students are saying...
“Because this is an academy for law and social justice, we learn things in our classes that we can use outside of school and with our families to improve our community.” - Reaiah, 9th grade
2013 Lottery Results Data
2013 Lottery Results Data
In an effort to help families make informed decisions about choosing a school, New Haven Public Schools is publishing last year’s lottery data for each Magnet and Charter School. Although the data change year to year, you can see a snapshot by grade level of how many seats were available for each school. Also, you can see how many applicants applied, how many applicants lived in the neighborhood, and how many applicants had siblings. These numbers reflect a combined total of all first, second and third school choices of each applicant. We hope this information, along with the opportunity to attend open houses, will help families choose schools that will fit the needs of their children.
Last Year's New Haven Available Seats and Applicants by Grade Level
Last Year's Suburban Available Seats and Applicants by Grade Level