James Hillhouse Comprehensive High School
2015 Open House
Address: 480 Sherman Parkway, New Haven, CT 06511 MAP
Main Office Phone: (203) 947-7500
Grades: 9th to 12th grade
Admission Preferences: Neighborhood & Sibling
School Hours: 7:30am - 2:15pm
Principal: Kermit Carolina,
I.D.E.A. Academy @ Hillhouse Principal: Fallon Daniels,
Law, Public Safety & Health @ Hillhouse Principal: Zakiyyah Baker
Enrollment: 950 students
Uniform School: Yes
Welcome to James Hillhouse Comprehensive High School, where our kids get four schools in one!
James Hillhouse Comprehensive High School has adopted the “Small Learning Community Model” (SLC), which is a highly researched and well-established model of student learning. This model creates smaller schools within schools in order to: improve student achievement; build and sustain positive relationships among students and staff; establish a conducive learning environment where each staff member knows the needs, interests and aspirations of each student; and provide academic, social, emotional and other support needed for each student to succeed as a young adult.
How to Know James Hillhouse Comprehensive High School is Right for Your Child:
- Your child likes to be challenged academically
- Your child enjoys all types of different extracurricular activities
- Your child can benefit from a diverse student population
Unique Ways Your Child Can Learn and Grow Here:
- The Freshman Academy, which helps students make the transition from middle school to high school successfully, and the Sophomore Academy, which continues student growth through six developmental pathways for continued success and maturing into young adulthood
- H.E.L.P. (Humanities, Education, Law and Public Service) and S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) to prepare students interested in careers in Cultural/ Ethnic Studies, Fire/EMT, Government, Law, Political Science, Law Enforcement, Military (JROTC), Sociology, Psychology and Teaching, Computer Science, Engineering and Health/Medicine
- A wide variety of generous scholarships available to support students’ educational pursuits financially into the future
2015 Open House/Tours/Shadowing
2015 Open House
School Tours & Shadowing
available by appointment
For More Info
- James Hillhouse High School has adopted the Small Learning Community Model (SLC) which is a highly researched and well-established model of student learning. This model creates smaller schools within schools in order to:
- Improve student achievement
- Build and sustain positive relationships among students and staff
- Establish a conducive learning environment where each staff member knows the needs, interests and aspirations of each student.
- Provide academic, social, emotional and other support needed for each student to succeed as a young adult.
- There are 4 SLCs: FACT = Freshman Academy, SACT = Sophomore Academy; after their 2nd year at Hillhouse, 11th graders will choose between two other SLCs: HELP = careers and programs that focus on: Humanities, Education, Law, and Public service and STEM = careers and programs that focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
- Freshman Academy: The Freshmen Academy is designed to help students make a successful transition from middle school to high school. Physically located on the 3rd Floor, freshmen are placed in a structured, nurturing environment with a common team of core teachers adjacent to one another.
- Sophomore Academy: Following the successful completion from Freshmen Academy, students are enrolled in the Sophomore Academy in order to continue their focus on their academic courses by maximizing their learning potential through James Comer’s six developmental pathways.
- H.E.L.P.(Humanities, Education, Law and Public Service): This SLC is designed for students interested in the following careers: Cultural/ Ethnic Studies; Fire/EMT Government; Law; Political Science; Law Enforcement; Military (JROTC); Sociology; Psychology; Teaching (Teacher Prep); etc...
- S.T.E.M.(Science, Technology, Engineering and Math): This SLC is designed for students interested in the following careers:Computer Science; Physi-cian; Engineering; Health Industry; Laboratory Technician; Medicine;Positive Data:AP, PSAT, SAT school day data have increased dramaticallyGraduation Rate has increased by approximately 33%College Persistence Rate is at an all-time high
- Yale University
- University of New Haven
- Southern Connecticut State University
- Gateway Community College
- Dr. Eugene Pergament
- The New Haven Scholarship Fund
- The Alvis Brooker Scholarship Fund
- NAACP Scholarship Award
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Scholarship
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Scholarship
What our students are saying...
“I love the school staff. I feel like I’m home and we’re a big family. There are plenty of opportunities that the school can provide for you. Hillhouse is the House of Champions.” - Smylesha L.
2013 Lottery Results Data
2013 Lottery Results Data
In an effort to help families make informed decisions about choosing a school, New Haven Public Schools is publishing last year’s lottery data for each Magnet and Charter School. Although the data change year to year, you can see a snapshot by grade level of how many seats were available for each school. Also, you can see how many applicants applied, how many applicants lived in the neighborhood, and how many applicants had siblings. These numbers reflect a combined total of all first, second and third school choices of each applicant. We hope this information, along with the opportunity to attend open houses, will help families choose schools that will fit the needs of their children.
Last Year's New Haven Available Seats and Applicants by Grade Level
|Neighborhood & Sibling Preference:||3||0||1||0|