West Rock Author's Academy Interdistrict Magnet
2015 Open Houses
Address: 311 Valley Street, New Haven, CT 06515 MAP
Main Office Phone: (203) 946-7761
Grades: PreK4 to 5th Grade
Admission Preferences: Sibling
School Hours: 9:15 am – 3:30 pm
PreK Program: 7:30am-5:30pm
Principal: Rosalyn Bannon
Enrollment: 230 students
Uniform School: Yes
Welcome to West Rock Author's Academy Interdistrict Magnet School, where we create pride in learning!
At West Rock Author's Academy, formerly known as MicroSociety, serving grades PreK-4 through 4th grade, your child will grow in an environment dedicated to developing lifelong learners who are responsible, productive citizens that care about contributing to the culture and progress of society. Here, your child is cultivated with a positive attitude and excellent work habits to achieve a capacity for high performance throughout the school years and beyond.
How to Know West Rock Author's Academy Interdistrict Magnet is Right for Your Child:
- Your child loves reading, writing, books and a learning environment with high expectations
- Your child is fascinated by words and how we learn about the world and communicate through words
- Your child enjoys sharing their ideas with others
Unique Ways Your Child Can Learn and Grow Here:
- The Readers & Writers Workshop philosophy, which focuses on the creation of publications by students to build skills in excellence and expression from the birth of an idea to sharing it in published form
- A peer-review process of students’ written works that builds collaboration, helps students recognize their mistakes and equips them to be objective and resilient when being evaluated - all necessary for performing well at the university level and in the work world
- Monthly Author’s Teas where students get to share their published works with teachers, parents and peers to develop greater confidence and ability to communicate
2014 Open Houses/Tours
2015 Open Houses
There is no better way to get a sense of whether our school is a fit for your child than visiting, so we invite you to join us at an open house.
available by appointment
- SmartBoards in nearly every classroom
- Technology lab
- Teachers address students' social and emotional needs by integrating the West Rock Author's Academy theme component of the HEART adventure which consists of: Humanity, Ethics, Aesthetics, Reflection, Respect, Reason, Responsibility, Trust. To make this component of the West Rock Author's Academy theme more relevant to our students' daily lives, we have created and abide by our own school wide Heart Code of Pride. Our school mascot is the lion, so our students show their "Pride in Learning" throughout the school day in everything they encounter.
- The HEART in our HEART Code of Pride stands for the qualities we expect every child to display throughout their educational journey at our school.
- H: Have pride in everything you do;
- E: Effort is the key to success:
- A: Attitude must be positive at all times;
- R: Respect must be given in order to be received;
- T: Treat others the way you want to be treated.
What our students are saying...
“I like going to West Rock Author's Academy because the teachers are nice. I really enjoy Writers Workshop because I get to use my imagination to create stories that I get to read to my class, teachers and principal.” Eric H., Grade 4
2013 Lottery Results Data
2013 Lottery Results Data
In an effort to help families make informed decisions about choosing a school, New Haven Public Schools is publishing last year’s lottery data for each Magnet and Charter School. Although the data changes year to year, you can see a snapshot by grade level of how many seats were available for each school. Also, you can see how many applicants applied, how many applicants lived in the neighborhood, and how many applicants had siblings. These numbers reflect a combined total of all first, second and third school choices of each applicant. We hope this information, along with the opportunity to attend open houses, will help families choose schools that will fit the needs of their children.
Last Year's New Haven Available Seats and Applicants by Grade Level
Last Year's Suburban Available Seats and Applicants by Grade Level