East Rock Community Magnet
2015 Open Houses
Address: 133 Nash St., New Haven, CT 06511 MAP
Main Office Phone: (203) 503-5900
Grades: Kindergarten to 8th Grade
Admission Preferences: Neighborhood & Sibling
School Hours: 7:55am - 2:10 pm
Principal: Peggy Pelley
Enrollment: 550 students
Uniform School: Yes
Welcome to East Rock Community Magnet School, where a sense of place and community really grows!
At East Rock, our focus is teaching students to be aware at all levels of their responsibilities to the community. One of the ways our kids achieve this is by learning about the many different agencies and community resources that help make New Haven a wonderful place to live, work and visit. For many of the families we serve, attendance at East Rock Community Magnet School is a family tradition because of the fine education that generations of family members have received here. Our new facility supports student learning in ways we had once only imagined. Purposeful, supportive, meaningful work takes place at this site, and future leaders who care about the community will rise here for generations to come.
How to Know East Rock Community Magnet School is Right for Your Child:
- Your child loves to feel like school is their “home away from home”
- Your child would rather be learning in a school that represents a variety of different cultures
- Your child is passionate about learning about the New Haven community and all it has to offer
Unique Ways Your Child Can Learn and Grow Here:
- A brand-new state-of-the-art building with access for all students to the latest technologies, including music and art technologies, so your child’s creativity can bloom to its full potential and expression
- Our Wellness Program, supported by our outdoor green areas that boast ample space for our community garden and creative outdoor play to establish a sense of connection to the environment as part of the community and a lifelong goal and habit of good health
- Our School Planning Management Team includes parental representation, which means parents have the opportunity to be deeply engaged in their children’s education by having a direct impact and influence on the decisions made by and for the school
2015 Open Houses/Tours
2015 Open Houses
School Tours & Shadowing
available by appointment
- State-of the-art equipment designed to support student learning, including Smart Boards in every classroom, laptop carts, document readers, computer lab, etc.
- Outdoor green areas boast space for a community garden and a field for outdoor play
- Colorful playscapes ensure a variety of creative physical challenges for students
- Extensive use of natural light in interior areas allows for a sense of connectedness between interior and exterior spaces
- School building is smart controls for lighting, temperature, and humidity, the building places a strong emphas is on the comfort of its occupants
- Safety features include interior and exterior cameras, extensive lighting around the perimeter of the building, a single point of access during the day for visitors, intercom with video, and double entry lobby
- Fully handicap accessible
- Yale School Development Program
- Yale School of Management
- Yale School of Music
- Southern Connecticut State University
- Common Ground High School - Community Gardening Program
- Laura Pappano, New York Times Journalist/"East Rock Record"
- The Red Hat Society
- Community Mediation Inc. Peer Mediation Program
- Positve Behavior Interventions and Supports Program
- Squash Haven, Inc.
What our students are saying...
“I love that we have fantastic teachers at our school. Our school is special because we are in a beautiful new building. If I met students who were thinking about coming to East Rock I would tell them that they would be welcomed with open arms by all the students and teachers.”
– Marc Gonzalez, Grade 7
2013 Lottery Results Data
2013 Lottery Results Data
In an effort to help families make informed decisions about choosing a school, New Haven Public Schools is publishing last year’s lottery data for each Magnet and Charter School. Although the data change year to year, you can see a snapshot by grade level of how many seats were available for each school. Also, you can see how many applicants applied, how many applicants lived in the neighborhood, and how many applicants had siblings. These numbers reflect a combined total of all first, second and third school choices of each applicant. We hope this information, along with the opportunity to attend open houses, will help families choose schools that will fit the needs of their children.
Last Year's New Haven Available Seats and Applicants by Grade Level
|Neighborhood & Sibling Preference:||4||2||1||1||0||1||0||1||0|